Regional Parameters

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Thu, 05/11/2017 - 07:56

Regional Parameters

Should we create a way to filter by region? For example, not all users would need the StageCode parameter that has been proposed here: http://openrfa.org/a020e652-cec5-4f8f-adce-339c2c3b9df5

I only ask because here in The US we don't typically call these "stages", we call them "phases", but that does not neccessarily mean we shouldn't have this defined in the database. We just don't want to confuse our users from different countries.

Sun, 05/21/2017 - 19:41

This is quite a big issue. Terminology between different countries will always be a problem, as will different languages. The issue do you create a separate parameter (with its own GUID) fro each or use the same GUID with different names?

It is possible in Revit to do this. You simply edit the name in the Shared Parameter text file. So you could have one shared Parameter file with US names and another with UK names, but they use the same GUID.

See how I applied this approach to the UK NBS Shared Parameters in my blog post: http://practicalbim.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/the-rudeness-of-uk-nbs-object-parameters.html

Wed, 05/31/2017 - 19:58 (Reply to #2)

I finally had time to read your post. Great post and great point about being able to use a parameter with the same GUID but with a different name and it will still schedule properly. This is how we can overcome any sort of language barrier.

From a technical side, I can create this feature fairly easily on this platform it would just take some planning. Oh, and we would need volunteers to help translate!

Thanks for your input.

Thu, 06/01/2017 - 18:34

I like the idea of sharing the GUID and just renaming per country.

Also note that the terminology for phases differ across the United States as well. So this will be handy for other unique naming for regions.

Mon, 06/05/2017 - 19:32

Hi! I'm new here and this post got all my attention. Right from the start, without understanding all the "parameters" of this project, i tend to agree with J. Merlan. Yes regional parameters are important. But how to deal with them?

Letting the user chooses the version he prefere could look like the solution... But, look at it this way, a huge project, with multiples linked models from MEP, STR., Arch. etc. are on the "Regional Parameter #1" and, for whatever reason you want, an consulting engineer is getting involved late in the game. This firm work the "Regional Parameter #2" and isn't use to the subtile variance of between the two parameters... What happend? Do the difference of name is taken care of with a mapping of the parameter? really? Isn't it painful?

I think that if you want to create Regional parameters, you must code the core parameters with one name and create child parameters, like in various coding language, for the different areas. Yes it would need a certain mapping for the multitude version. But, this method let the user choose the most familiar type of regional parameters for the project without compromising the oneness of the "Core" parameters.

In addition, i would like to suggest a variance of this parameter of an add, a language parameters (sorry if it has already been proposed, as i said, it's my first time here). Yes, i know, it's a lot of work to map, translate and assure a certain uniformity for an other language... But your project appeal me a lot and, for the moment, i feel that i could help you with this side of the project, if you want to develop it.

Tue, 06/06/2017 - 17:50 (Reply to #6)

Welcome to OpenRFA! Great input. I love the ideas that are starting to flow in.

After some research based on AntMc's blog post (linked above), I discovered that we can have multiple parameter names assigned to the same GUID and Revit will treat it as the same data. This is how we can easily handle the linguistics aspect of the shared parameters.

I plan to do a full write-up and build in a feature directly on OpenRFA which allows us to handle multiple languages in a single data set.

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 03:39 (Reply to #7)

Hi J.Merlan,

Thank you for your information on this post. I am in the process of looking for the correct parameters for a French client. I am currently usings UKs NBS standard parameters. From the information you have provided, are you suggesting i could just edit the parameters and translate the name? Therefore not needing any additional parameters and would schedule the same. Or would you keep this written in English?

Look forward to your feedback

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 04:33 (Reply to #8)
Tue, 09/05/2017 - 06:20 (Reply to #9)

Yes, you are correct. AntMc's post helped me learn that and build the functionality directly into this platform. I have an example posted in our documentation: http://openrfa.org/documentation/regional-multi-language-support

If you are getting ready to translate shared parameters it would be great to get your efforts in translation here on OpenRFA. We are currently working to combine several standards that exist throughout the world into a single set of parameters. Let us know if you're interested in joining efforts!

Thu, 09/07/2017 - 07:20 (Reply to #10)

Hi J.Merlan.

I would very much like to be part of your efforts in translating. i am creating commercial toilet accessories, such as hand dryers and toilet roll holders. I will be translating these from English to French. Thank you AntMc, I will use your post to help me. I will keep you updated on my progress, any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to drop me an email, hello@dianebutterworth.com.

Fri, 09/08/2017 - 07:30

Great discussion, and great project - thanks for sharing this with the BIM community!

Question - In our China offices, we are frequently required to produce bi-lingual documentation sets. This means things like view names are shown in both English and Chinese. Would it be justified to propose a bi-lingual view name shared parameter to the list?

Also - how do we add other languages to the database? So far I am only seeing English and Spanish and I would love to start seeing other languages such as Chinese and Japanese appear here!

Fri, 09/08/2017 - 09:05 (Reply to #12)

Welcome!

I would need to add the languages on my end first, then it will give you a field to input the overrides for the parameter names. Would you be interested in helping translate to a language? If so, which language? It will need some testing, but we can at least start to input the overrides so that we can begin testing.

To make things easier, I can also import translations in bulk from my end. I would send you a spreadsheet and you would simply populate the translated fields. Much easier than going through the web interface.

Fri, 09/08/2017 - 09:46

That's great! You can send me the database directly and I will add the Chinese translations. Thanks.

Fri, 09/08/2017 - 10:39 (Reply to #14)

Sounds great! Thanks for contributing. 

Shoukd I specify Mandarin, Cantonese, or other?

Fri, 09/08/2017 - 11:16 (Reply to #15)

I am only familiar with Simplified Chinese 简体中文 characters (which is used in mainland China). Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Singapore all use Traditional Chinese 繁体中文 characters. Perhaps someone else can help with the Traditional Chinese?

Fri, 09/08/2017 - 11:39 (Reply to #16)

Sounds good. I'll just tag the field as Chinese for now and if someone else volunteers to translate to another version we can revisit. 

Introducing collaborative shared parameters.

Join OpenRFA to help build the new master shared parameters for Revit.