Updating parameter names

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Tue, 08/01/2017 - 08:21

Updating parameter names

Is there a simple way to update parameters in a Revit project after we've changed the parameter name? It's pretty straightforward to do this in a Revit Family by simply editing the parameter and choosing the updated version, or by using 3rd party tools such as RF Tools. But in a project there may be several families which use the renamed parameter so updating the name seems tricky. 

Wed, 08/02/2017 - 21:11

Been researching this for a while and was referred to https://www.arsoftwaresolutions.com.au/arutils

Supposedly, their "Head of The Family" utility will let you do this. If you have some time can you try it out and report back? I can try it on my end next week when I have a little more time. 

Fri, 08/18/2017 - 19:43 (Reply to #2)

Looks like it only allows you to rename existing project, or non-shared parameters. Bummer.

I've done a bit more searching and everyone seems to agree that shared parameters cannot be renamed in a project. There may be a way within families using the API, but this still leaves us with a significant problem for legacy parameter names. Right now I have several in a project which appear to just be stuck. I hate to say it but I don't think we should rename parameters which have been approved. And we probably also need to go through the whole set very carefully and nail down the existing names.

Sat, 08/19/2017 - 11:08 (Reply to #3)

Sounds like a good idea.

Did you know that you can purge parameters? Once a family has the parameter deleted you can actually run Purge Unused and it should purge it out. Can you try that on your end and see if it solves the problem that you're seeing?

Mon, 08/21/2017 - 09:03 (Reply to #4)

I've been able to purge parameters from families but still not the project. To remove them from a family I actually had to purge and then audit, but maybe there's a simpler way.

Introducing collaborative shared parameters.

Join OpenRFA to help build the new master shared parameters for Revit.